LILLEY (258-5, Perry 67, Ashby 64, Hammond 58*) beat Graveley (178 -9, Clarke 3-24) by 80 runs

Lilley plundered a phenomenal 258 runs in 40 overs en route to a thumping 80 run win in their penultimate 2005 fixture against Graveley yesterday.
Lilley were asked to bat first at the small but perfectly formed Graveley ground, but could not have expected what would happen next.  Gareth Tompkins pulled the third ball of the day for six over mid wicket, but soon fell, caught smartly at point whilst on the cut.  Doug Tomsett and Tim Perry then set about forging the partnership that would be the backbone of the Lilley effort, piling on the runs to register their second century stand of the season, 111 runs in all on this occasion.  Tomsett played second fiddle to the classy Perry, who hit his first six of the season on his way to registering a top quality half century in quick time.  TP flew to 67 before being bowled round his legs.  His demise brough skipper James Ashby to the crease and in a minute of madness, he and Tomsett were dropped three times between them, Ashby on 0 and 1, both at long on.  Tomsett perished soon after for a gritty 26 as did Taz Qureshi for 8 having played a lazy swipe, but Ashby and Ken Hammond began another formidable partnership.  Their skipper it was who found his feet quickest, punishing some loose bowling.  He smashed three sixes in his innings, one onto and over the pavilion and one over long on off one knee which brought up his second half century in three innings.  He was eventually bowled for 64, attempting to hit out at the end and was replaced by Brad Tompkins, who carefully engineered the strike so big Ken Hammond could notch up Lilley’s third half century of the innings, 58 not out, to finish Lilley’s effort at 258-5, a seasons best.
Lilley’s bowlers has runs on the board and although the wicket was getting flatter, Ken Hammond wrenched out his 41st wicket of the season early on, clean bowling Nick Cross for 5.  GT and Perry replaced Hammond and Ashby and the young South African totally outfoxed Morris and Brown, bowling both with clever deliveries.  The pair then made way for Taz Qureshi’s off spin and Philo Clarke’s seamers – and a wonderful display of Lilley catching.  Good pressure bowling forced a rash stroke from Boyd, who’s sliced effort was wonderfully taken by a running, tumbling Stew Collinson in the covers.  Qureshi struck shortly after, this time forcing an up-ish flick to mid wicket which flew straight into the left hand of skipper Ashby just off the ground.  Clarke bagged another, bowled, before starring in the field, clinging on to a skier off Qureshi at deep mid wicket at the second attempt.  Qureshi bowled another victim and Clarke forced an edge to GT at first slip which he clung onto well as Lilley eased to victory.
Time then for four overs between Craig ‘Screech’ Paddington and Rich Kendall, with varying degrees of success.  Paddington managed to no ball off a two yard run up.  And then, the unthinkable…he induced a false stroke, the ball ballooned in the air, three men around it.  “KENNY HAMMOND’S” was the cry as the big midlands monkey fired up his gangly legs.  He charged in, got into position and…dropped it.  In fact, he completely missed it.  Pain.  Much pain for young Paddington.  Ouch.  0-10 from his two.
Kendall, conversely, endured a tough time.  Just six runs from his first over and there was potential that his new spin could be a winner.  His second over, the last of the game, disappeared for 20…ouch again.  The plane to Pakistan for the winter tour will not be stopping by Graveley!
A massive amount of beer drunk in the bar.  Craig assured us all during the game that there was ‘enough poison in a Daddy Long Legs to kill a human – it just doesn’t have the stinger”.  So naturally, after a few beers and given the plague of the beasts on one wall of the bar, Craig put it to the test and ate one.  In fact, he ate two.  And he’s still alive, albeit with ‘the squits’.  Top night, but only one match left in a great season.

Leave a Reply