LILLEY (218-7, 40 Overs, G Tompkins 96) beat Kempston Sports (Perry 3-28) by 46 runs

Lilley completed an unusual double yesterday at sun drenched Cryselco Park by registering their second win of the season against Kempston Sports, largely thanks to a magnificent 96 from South African Gareth Tompkins.
Lilley skipper James Ashby defied his early season poor toss form yet again by winning his third toss on the trot ad wasted no time in electing to bat on a flat, hard deck in scorching heat.  Doug Tomsett and GT continued their fine opening partnership with another solid platform, this time puting on 96 for the
first wicket.  Tomsett it was who departed first, caught, but not before he and particularly Tompkins had entertained another fine Lilley Supporters Club following with some magical strokeplay.  The Douglemeister’s demise meant Taz Qureshi had chance to build on his improving performances of late and he and the young South African put on a further 54 for the second wicket.
The partnership and GT’s sensational knock came to a shuddering and cruel halt though with 15 overs remaining.  Tompkins rocked back to pull but was done by a lack of pace.  He missed the ball and was struck on the pad infront of all three.  Umpire Stew Collinson’s finger raised and GT’s tremendous innings was ended, just four runs shy of his first century for Lilley.  Qureshi followed shortly after, caught for a useful 17 and Brad Tompkins (8) was the victim of a fortuitous piece of wicket keeping, edging straight into the static ‘keeper’s glove webbing.  Ashby prodded about for 8 before being caught off an innocuous delivery, Hammond (11) and Horner (0) were bowled trying to hit out, but Lilley’s lengthy batting line up meant there were still batsmen the quality of Eyres (6 not out) and Perry (14 not out) to come out to see the final over or two out, guiding Lilley to a reasonable 218-7.
Lilley’s bowling always looked on paper to be up to defending the total, but Ashby decided to rest batting hero Gareth Tompkins, who bagged 6 wickets here in May, from bowling duties.  Ashby and Perry opened up and Opposition skipper Tony Allbones survived a huge lbw shout in the first over against his Lilley counterpart.  It was to be a temporary reprieve however, as Allbones was bowled six overs later for 8 by the same bowler.  Perry joined in the fun with two wickets in two balls, the third Lilley bowler in two months to achieve the feat on this ground!  TP bowled the glove-less left hander Hussain before taking a return catch from a second Hussain.  Big Ken Hammond then joined in the frolics, bowling the tall opener Grint for 26.  Ashby removed Barnett, bowled off his pads and when Hammond bagged a second wicket, Kempston’s chase was all but over.
Philo Clarke (2-21) capped three maiden overs with his first wicket, caught by Qureshi at mid off and bagged a second, caught by GT running from slip.  With the game looking safe, Ashby turned to Qureshi to skid through a few overs of spin to hurry the game on.  His first 17 balls disappeared for 39 runs to all parts, giving Kempston a glimmer of hope, however he went some way to redeeming himself with his 18th delivery, which was carted towards the deep cover boundary only to be expertly pouched on the run by the ecstatic Philo Clarke.  GT’s rest was interrupted as Ashby asked the opening bat to bowl a few overs but it was the returning Tim Perry at the other end who finished the match by clean bowling Simms for a well made 64 to seal Lilley’s 46 run victory.

Leave a Reply